Resume (Jaerock Kwon)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kettering University, May 2010 – Present
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kettering University, July 2009 – May 2010
- Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering (Computer Engineering Major), Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, August 2009
- Dissertation title: Acquisition and Mining of the Whole Mouse Brain Microstructure
- M.S. in Electronic Communication Engineering (now, Department of Computer and Communication Engineering), Hanyang University,Seoul, Korea, February 1994
- Thesis title: The Design and Implementation of a Korean Sentence Generator using Feature Structures
- B.S. in Electronic Communication Engineering (now, Division of Electronics and Computer Engineering), Hanyang University, Seoul,Korea, February 1992
- Brain Network Laboratory (at Texas A&M University), September 2005 – July 2009
- Computational Neuroanatomy and Neuroinformatics: Reconstruction, Visualization, Statistical Analysis, Acquisition and Analysis of Large Biological Data Sets
- Computational Neuroscience
- Neural Network, Machine Learning, Reinforcement Learning, and Neuroevolution
- Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science
- Wireless Sensor Network
- Embedded System Software and Real Time Operating Systems
- Embodied cognition
- Mobile robots
- Machine vision
- Medical image processing
- Automatic part dimensional inspection
- Mobile apps – iOS/Android
- User interface design
- Programming languages
- X3D, web technologies, CMS (Drupal, WordPress, Joomla)
- Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp funded by GM Foundation (2013)
- NSF-MRI (Major Research Instrument) Development of High-Throughput ad High-Resolution Three-Dimensional Tissue Scanner with Internet-Connected 3D Virtual Microscope for Large-Scale Automated Histology (Award No. ECCS-1337983, PI: Kwon) Sep 1, 2013 – Aug 31, 2016.
- Computer Engineering Day Camp (The Donald Lee Smith Fund through the Community Foundation of Greater Flint, 2013-2015).
- Electrified Motorcycle for US College Students, 2013
- A development of LED system lighting engine module with compact sized data communication modules and driver IC/Processor control parts based on multi-sensor (supported by the MKE/Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Korea supervised by the KEIT/Korea Evaluation Institute of Industrial Technology; Subcontract, 2012-2015)
- MSM: Multiscale Imaging, Analysis, and Integration of Brain Networks (funded by NIH/National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke #1R01-NS54252. Research Assistant (September 2005 – May 2008))
- Eric Barch: Independent Study, 2013
- Kevin Smith: TI10 Switchable ES Audio Solution. 2013
- William Lindeman: Interpreting Workout Gestures with Neural Networks, 2013
- Alanna Gippin: CT Image Reconstruction, 2012
- Taimen Taylor: Automation of EnTech’s Report Generation Process, 2012
- Anthony Marchioni: Learning Marchine, 2012
- Eric Chu: BlackBerry Application for Monitoring Battery Testing for the Global Battery Systems Lab, 2011
Academic Research Experience
- Research Assistant(May 2008 – May 2009) at the International Student Services, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Research Assistant(September 2005 – May 2008) at the Brain Network Lab, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Developed cognitive models and algorithms regarding Neural networks, Genetic algorithms, and Artificial intelligence
- Developed the automatic data acquisition system, data server, data transmission, image capture, and stage controller system Knife Edge Scanning Microscope (KESM)
- Developed automatic image registration system for large data sets, image processing for removing noise and normalizing uneven light intensity using ITK (Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit)
- Developed a volumetric data browser for large data sets using VTK (Visualization Tool Kit)
- Research Assistant(January 2005 – May 2005) at the Engineering Technology and Industrial Distribution, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Remote control and automation system using Web-based interface.
Industrial Research Experience
- Senior Software Engineer(June 2002 – June 2004) at Qualcomm as Technical support engineer for BREW developers and OEM engineers
- Integrated BREWChat (Push To Talk solution) for an OEM.
- Consulted for BREW application developers.
- Consulted for OEM engineers to port BREW both in person and through email.
- Wrote BREW training materials for developers.
- Gave lectures on BREW SDK, and wrote FAQ, troubleshooting and knowledge base.
- Skills: C/C++, BREW, DMSS, REX, ARM C/C++, Trace32
- Senior Software Engineer(Jan 2000 – June 2002) at SK Teletch Research and Development Center (now Pantech)
- Developed a new embedded application platform.
- Recipient of MPR/S Award (Excellent Employee, 2001).
- Developed an embedded application platform for mobile devices (EQUS) (Event driven system, common controls, and application manager).
- Designed for multi platforms, and developed an emulator for Windows OS.
- Developed user interfaces for CDMA handsets
- Developed the first color LCD handset (SKY IM-3100) in the Korean market with a graphical user interface.
- User interface development for commercial CDMA IS-95A/B/C, CDMA 2000 cellular phones; SK Teletech models: (Camera, color LCD, multi-poly melody, CDMA 2000 1X, CDMA 2000, EVDO, GPS).
- Skills: C/C++, BREW, DMSS, REX, ARM C/C++, Trace32, Visual C/C++, MFC, Win32
- Assocate Research Engineer(Jan 1999 – Dec 1999) at LG Electronics(Digital TV Research Lab)
- Developed the digital TV set-top box data browser
- Embedded System Software for Digital TV Set-top Box on RTOS (pSOS).
- Enhanced the layout engine to support HTML 4.0.
- Content Parser and Layout Engine of ATVEF Data Broadcast.
- HTML 4.0 parser for ATVEF data broadcast content format.
- Skills: C/C++, pSOS, ARM C/C++, Device Mosaic 3.1, HTML, ECMA Script, CSS, DOM.
- Assocate Research Engineer(Jan 1996 – Dec 1998) at LG Electronics(Media Communication Research Lab)
- Developed telephony systems for LG personal computers
- Developed the telephony module which supports the answering machine, voice mail, and fax for LG multimedia PC (SoftHome 3.0).
- Developed PC Agent System (Windows shell for novice users) (SoftHome 98).
- Skills: – C/C++, Mpact Media Processor, Windows 98, Visual C/C++, MFC, TAPI (Telephony API). Hayes AT command, Rockwell AT+V command, Mwave Telephony API.
- Assistant Research Engineer(Jan 1994 – Dec 1995) at LG Electronics((Information Technology Research Lab)
- Developed device diagnostic applications for mass manufacturing
- Device diagnostic applications (LG 3DO CD-based game console).
- Embedded splash/attractive screen (LG 3DO CD-based game console).
- Skills: C/C++, pSOS, ARM C/C++, Power Mac, 3DO Graphic, 3DO Audio.
- Assistant Professor: Microcomputers, App Development for Mobile Devices, Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering at Kettering University, May 2010 – present
- Visiting Assistant Professor: Microcomputers, Digital systems, Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering at Kettering University, July 2009 – May 2010
- Guest lecture: Internal State Predictability as an Evolutionary Precursor of Self-Awareness and Agency, CPSC 633-600 Machine Learning, Department of Computer Science, Texas A&M University, Spring 2009
- Guest lecture: Internal State Predictability as an Evolutionary Precursor of Self-Awareness and Agency, CPSC 636-600 Neural Networks, Department of Computer Science, Texas A&M University, Spring 2008
- Lecturer: BREW SDK, troubleshooting, and knowledge base for BREW application development; wrote the materials, 2002 – 2004
Talks and Special Lectures
- Jaerock Kwon, Invited talk: Design and Implementation of Smart LED Lighting System Using Multi-Sensor Module. Dept. of Information and Communication Engineering at Wonkwang University, Korea, April, 2014
- Jaerock Kwon, Invited talk: Development of a Wireless Multisensor LED Lighting System, BIT 3rd Annual World Conference of U-Homes, Dalian, China, June 2013
- Jaerock Kwon, Invited talk: Security Issues in Wireless Sensor Networks, Jeju National University, Korea, Oct 15, 2012.
- Jaerock Kwon, Invited talk: Wireless Sensor Network Development and Applications for LED system lighting, Workshop for LED Lighting Technologies and Education, Center for Advanced Electric Applications at Wonkang University, Korea, Oct 10, 2012.
- Jaerock Kwon, Invited talk: Computational Neuroscience, Mobile and Space Communications Lab at Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea, Sep 3, 2011
- Jaerock Kwon, Inivted talk: Kettering University: A Professional Co-op Experience with a Real Difference, 2011 5th International Workshop on Practical Engineering Education, Cheonan, Korea, Aug 4, 2011.
- Jaerock Kwon, a special lecture in the Advanced Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Program held by Human Resources Development Institute of Korea University of Technology & Education, Cheonan, Korea, August 1-5, 2011.
- Jaerock Kwon, and Yoonsuck Choe, Invited talk: Internal State Predictability as an Evolutionary Precursor of Self-Awareness and Agency, Cognoscenti Series, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, October 20, 2008.
- Jaerock Kwon, Heejin Lim, and Yoonsuck Choe, Invited talk: Prediction, a Prerequisite to Goal-directed Behavior, and Its Possible Origin in Delay Compensation. IT Symposium, US-Korea Conference, Reston VA. August 10, 2007.
- Yoonsuck Choe , Jaerock Kwon, and Heejin Lim, Invited talk: Prediction, a Prerequisite to Goal-directed Behavior, and Its Possible Origin in Delay Compensation. Metroplex Institute for Neural Dynamics, November 3, 2006.
- Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp II for Kettering University’s Pre-college Program, 2013.
- Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp for Kettering University’s Pre-college Program, 2013.
- Kettering University Innovation Fellow 2012-2013
- EE Faculty Search Committee 2013.
- Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp for Kettering University’s Pre-college Program, 2012.
- Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp for Kettering University’s Pre-college Program, 2011.
- Engineering & Science Career Exploration Camp for Kettering University’s Pre-college Program, 2011.
- Curriculum committee of Computer Engineering, 2010-2011
- Judge, FIRST Robotics District Competition (FRC) 2011 at Kettering.
- Session Chair, International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods (ICPRAM 2014).
- Program Committee, International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods (ICPRAM 2014).
- Communication Chair, TeK One 2014.
- Reviewer,The Scientific World Journal, Electrification and Renewable Energy Generation (EREG)
- Program Committee, International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods (ICPRAM 2013).
- Communications Chair, KOCSEA Technical Symposium, 2013.
- Reviewer, International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN) 2012.
- Reviewer, Neurocomputing journal, 2012.
- Reviewer, IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence 2013.
- Program Committee of Nature and Biologically Inspired Computing (NaBIC) 2012.
- Program Committee of Nature and Biologically Inspired Computing (NaBIC) 2011.
- Reviewer, Data & Knowledge Engineering (DKE) journal.
- Program Committee of International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods (ICPRAM 2012).
- Technical Committee of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), 2008.
- Student Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Student Member, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society.
- Student Member, International Neural Network Society (INNS).
- Student Member, Society for Neuroscience (SfN) .
- KESMSuite: Image processing package for KESM images and KESM Web Brain Atlas.
- KESM Image/Volume Browser (2008): A visualization system for KESM data.
- KESM Unit Volume Maker (2008): A volume (a stack of images) extractor from multi-scale and multiple-column image stacks.
- KESM Image Cropper (2008): An image cropper removing noise and uneven light with automatic image registration.
- KESM Image Resizer (2008): Resize images from image stacks
- KESM Image Acquisition System (2007): A controller application for a precision positioning system and an image capture system. Imaging for the whole mouse brain has been done automatically with minimum human intervention
- An application platform for embedded systems, (written in ARM C for the main system and Visual C/C++ for the emulator), 2001, 2002
- A layout engine for the DTV data browser, (written in ARM C), 1999
- An answering machine, a phone, and a fax application for LG-IBM PC, (written in Visual C/C++), 1997, 1998
- A Telephony module using TAPI and Hayes modem command for LG-IBM PC, (written in Visual C/C++), 1996, 1997
- An audio CD player having video clips, (written in Toolbook 3.0), 1995
- An Hangul (Korean Alphabet) text editor, (written in Borland C/C++), 1994
- A PIMS application, (written in Turbo C 2.0), 1993
- An assembler for Hanyang Simplified Instructional Computer (HSIC), (written in Turbo C 2.0), 1991
- A housekeeping account book, (spreadsheet style, but simplified, and easy to use), (Turbo C 2.0), 1990
- Bluetooth Low Energy
- TI CC254x
- TI Bluetooth Stack
- Android Programming
- iOS Programming
- Scientific programming in C/C++, Matlab.
- Visualization Tool Kit (VTK), Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit (ITK), Visual C/C++, MFC, Qt
- Database: MS Access, MS-SQL
- System: Win32 (Windows Vista, XP, Server 2003), pSOS, ARM, MacOSX
Honors and Awards
- Oswald International Faculty Fellowship from Kettering University, 2010-2011
- Travel Grant for IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 2007
- SK Employee Award, MPR/S division, An Excellent Employee, SK Teletech, December 2001
- Graduate fellowship from LG Electronics Co., Ltd. (Two-year full-tuition), January 1992 – December 1993
- Undergraduate fellowship from LG Electronics Co., Ltd. (Two-year full-tuition), January 1990 – December 1991
- Academic Merit Scholarship, August 1988
- Data information display method of data broadcasting receiver and apparatus thereof , US Patent No: 7100117, August 29, 2006
- Apparatus and method for display of data information in data broadcasting receiver, H04N7/08, 1003570980000, October 4, 2002
- Apparatus for defining TV/DATA broadcasting objects by user, H04N 5/445 (January 2006), 1006936480000 (March 5, 2007)
- Display method of pop-up tree type electronic program guide, H04N 5/50 (January 2006) 1006414370000 (October 25, 2006)
- Two way digital television system, H04N 7/173 (January 2006), 1006975130000 (March 13, 2007)
- Method for automatic selecting data broadcasting in digital TV, H04N 7/08, 1019990007171 (March 04, 1999), 1020000059524 (October 05, 2000), Disclosure
- Method for detecting channel in digital TV, H04N 7/12 (January 2006) 1006409170000 (October 25, 2006)
- Apparatus and method for display of font data broadcasting, H04N 7/08, 1019990051114 (November 17, 1999),1020010047071 (June 15, 2001), Disclosure
- Method for service offering using formalized user information, H04L 12/58 (January 2006), 1006520300000 (November 23, 2006)
- Method for detecting fax signal on voice/fax machine, H04N 1/00, 1019970009963 (March 22, 1997), 101998074239 (November 5, 1998), Disclosure
- Member of a softball team, Taiwanese student association softball team (Actually, the team is an international team despite its name)
- Member of a baseball team, LG Woomyeon Elite (an associated baseball team of LG Research Laboratories) baseball team as pitcher, 2nd baseman or right fielder, 1994 – 1999 and 2002 – 2004
- Member of a student association for studying Korean language. Research on the relationship between language and the societal lives of the language users. March 1988 – January 1992
- A co-founder of a computer club, Hantlary in Electronic Communication Engineering Department, College of Engineering, Hanyang University, 1989
- Gave lectures of C/C++ language to the club members.
- Conducted various projects with the members and held exhibitions
- Go to Publications.