My name is Jaerock Kwon. I am originally from Korea. After extensive industrial experiences as a software engineer in a consumer electronics company, a mobile phone manufacturer, and a wireless internet service technology company, I started my academic career at Kettering University where I am working as an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. You may follow me on @jaerock_ece or find me at facebook/jaerock.ece.
Kettering University (formerly General Motors Institute of Technology and GMI Engineering and Management Institute) is a nationally-ranked STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and Business university in Flint, Michigan and a national leader in combining a rigorous academic environment with rich opportunities for experiential learning and cooperative education. (Wikipedia)
Jaerock Kwon, Ph.D.
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
1700 W. University Avenue, Flint, MI 48504
My Academic Genealogy
- Dec 12, 2013: News at ABC12. http://www.abc12.com/clip/9623678/kettering-university-receives-grants-from-national-science-foundation
- Sep 13, 2013: Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp is one of pre-college programs that GM Foundation decides to fund.
- Aug 5, 2013: Fundings from National Science Foundation. MRI: Development of High-Throughput ad High-Resolution Three-Dimensional Tissue Scanner with Internet-Connected 3D Virtual Microscope for Large-Scale Automated Histology.
- July 29-Aug2, 2013: Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp 2.
- July 15-19, 2013: Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp.
- June 20-22, 2013: Attended U-Homes 2013 at Dalian, China.
- Dec 15, 2012: Invited talk: Enhanced Image Processing Pipeline and Parallel Generation of Multiscale Tiles for Web-Based 3D Rendering of Whole Mouse Brain Vascular Networks, 2012 KOCSEA Technical Symposium.
- Nov 10, 2012: Submitted a paper to International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging 2013.
- Oct 15, 2012: Invited talk: Security Issues in Wireless Sensor Networks, Jeju National University.
- Oct 10, 2012: Invited talk: Wireless Sensor Network Development and Applications for LED system lighting, Workshop for LED Lighting Technologies and Education, Center for Advanced Electric Applications at Wonkang University.
- Jan 2012: Appears in News and Information about Kettering at Kettering University’s website. Mapping blood vessels.
- December 2011: An article, Specimen Preparation, Imaging, and Analysis Protocols for Knife-edge Scanning Microscopy, appears on the front page of JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments).
- November 2011: News article on News Medical, Knife-edge scanning microscopy rapidly maps new blood vessels in organs.
- September 2011: “Fast macro-scale transmission imaging of microvascular networks using KESM” is published on Biomedical Optics Express Journal, Vol. 2, Issue 10, pp. 2888-2896.
- September 2011: “Knife-edge scanning microscopy for large-scale, high-resolution volume imaging of the brain” is on Journal of Visualized Experiments.
- August 2011: “Knife-Edge Scanning Microscopy for Connectomics Research” is published on IJCNN 2011 – International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, San Jose, California.
- August 2011: Invited for the Advanced Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Program held by Human Resources Development Institute of Korea University of Technology & Education.
- July 2011: Android application programming for Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp.
- July 2011: Smartphone programming for Engineering & Science Career Exploration Camp.
- March 2011:: “Knife-Edge Scanning Microscopy for Connectomics Research” is accepted for IJCNN 2011 – International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, San Jose, California, 2011
- March 2011:: “Efficient WiFi-based Indoor Localization using Particle Swarm Optimization” is accepted for International Conference on Swarm Intelligence, Chongqing, China, 2011.
- January 2011:: “AUTOMATED CROPPING AND ARTIFACT REMOVAL FOR KNIFE-EDGE SCANNING MICROSCOPY” is accepted for the eighth IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2011).
- January 2011:: “Fast Cell Detection in High-Throughput Imagery Using GPU-Accelerated Machine Learning” are accepted for the eighth IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2011).
- November 2010:: I am honored to be a recipient of Oswald International Faculty Fellowship.
- July 2010:: Computer Engineering Special Topics: App Development for Mobile Devices (CE-491) starts.
- January 2010:: A new website will be used for the courses from Spring 2010.
- November 2009:: Well, I found out that six patents have been registered and three patents have been disclosed to Korean Intellectual Property Office since I left Korea to pursue my Ph.D.
- November 2009 :: My colleagues and I submitted two papers to 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro.
- Automated Cropping and Enhanced Noise Removal for Knife-Edge Scanning Microscopy
- Large-volume Imaging and Segmentation of Cell Soma in the Rat Somatosensory Cortex
- November 2009 :: I just found out that one of my ideas was registered as US Patent No: 7,100,117 (Data information display method of data broadcasting receiver and apparatus thereof) in 2006. This method was invented with one of my colleagues when I worked for LG Electronics as a research engineer in Digital TV Research Center.
- October 2009 :: My colleagues and I presented a poster, Complete submicrometer scans of mouse brain microstructure: Neurons and vasculatures at the SfN (Society for Neuroscience) 2009 annual conference.
- June 2009 :: A paper has been published to Neural Network Journal. The title is “Facilitating Neural Dynamics for Delay Compensation: A Road to Predictive Neural Dynamics?“
- May 2009 :: A paper has been accepted to the 2009 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2009). The title is “Evolution of Recollection and Prediction in Neural Networks.”
- May 2009 :: I defend my dissertation successfully. The dissertation title is “Acquisition and Mining of the Whole Mouse Brain Microstructure.”